This analytical and reflective journal on the exploration of multilingual information access could be improved in so many different ways. Multilingual information access, it seems, is such a broad topic. I got stuck on my writing many times because I didn’t know where to begin and end on my entries. Since I decided to create a journal, I figured that it would be all right if I didn’t focus so much on producing a project that had a solid thesis statement or argument. I made it more of a product of free-writing, if you will.
When I started this journal, I wanted to document my findings, but it was actually much more difficult than I thought. I didn’t know if I wanted to record my thoughts while exploring the ICDL or after exploring it. I wanted to keep my entries consistent, but I ended up not writing much about my personal experience with the ICDL anyway.
One aspect that I wanted to focus on was the ICDL’s multilingual metadata and catalog; I wanted to tie these two elements back to multilingual information access in some way. While I was working on this project, I realized that there wasn’t much I could have written about it, though. Yes, the ICDL offers a unique catalog where books are labeled in non-traditional ways, but I wish I could have had access to some metadata examples. With examples, I think I could have written an analysis in greater depth. Of course, this is just my personal view.
At this point, I’m feeling a bit ambivalent about my journal. Perhaps it is a work-in-progress, a project that is open to edits and refinement. Despite my ambivalence, I still found this journal to be a worthwhile project.